– Article by Sheetal Sohoni.
IUCEE came in existence in 2007 with the sole purpose of bringing about change in the engineering education ecosystem in India. There are two approaches of implementing changes: top-down and bottom-up. IUCEE has designed many initiatives that would help and support progress, growth, and development of all involved stakeholders, starting with a bottom-up approach, training faculty at the grassroots level. As IUCEE’s initiatives matured, a clear need emerged for supplementing the bottom-up approach with a top-down strategy.
Thus, the IUCEE Leadership Summit came into existence in 2017. The goal of the annual summit is to involve the senior members of institutions and universities in a serious dialogue about future of engineering education in India. The event is hosted by IUCEE at Goa, India in July every year. Through this event, IUCEE is trying to achieve following objectives:
– To understand importance of good governance and institutional leadership as fundamental to the survival and progress of Indian engineering institutions in the challenging times and to identify specific areas for improvement.
– To share and learn from the case studies of ‘successful Institutional transformations’, through good governance and effective leadership
– To understand the roles and responsibilities of the leaders in the institutional transformational process and the competencies they need to develop, and establish a plan for development of these competencies
– To understand the systemic tools and frameworks that can be used to lead the engineering colleges and Universities to achieve excellence and to identify which two or three tools are to be selected for deployment in the next year for each of the participating institutions
So far, IUCEE has hosted two leadership summits. The third event will be held at International Center, Goa from 11th July 2019 to 13th July 2019. For more information about the event please visit iucee.org!